Document List for Individual Tax Returns
To file your individual tax return, please take a look at the list of tax documents below, and send copies of the following documents that apply to you.
For First-time Clients
- Copy of last 1 or 2 year’s tax returns – Federal & State
- Date of Birth for client, spouse, and dependents if any
- Form W-2
For Home Owners
- Mortgage Interest paid (year-to-date total) – Form 1098
- Property Taxes paid (twice a year or impounded in the mortgage payments)
- If purchased last year: Escrow closing/settlement statement
- DMV Renewal payment for personal use cars
- Contributions, if any (Need a written acknowledgment)
- Tax Return Fee paid to the previous CPA, for a New client
For Interest/Dividend Income received
- Form 1099-INT/DIV (or amounts with payers’ names)
For Rental Property owners [Detailed Worksheet is available]
- Rental Income
- Mortgage Interest & Property Taxes for the rental property
- Insurance, Repairs/Improvements, Other Expenses
- If purchased last year: Escrow closing/settlement statement & County Property Tax Bill (showing Land/Building value breakdown)
For Business owners (yearly clients) [Detailed Worksheet is available]
- Summary of business income (incl. Form 1099-MISC) & expenses total by category or There will be a Bookkeeping Charge if raw data are provided to us.
- If started last year: Business Name, Address, Description of business
- Health Insurance payments
S Corporation/Partnership Income (for entities we didn’t prepare Tax Returns):
- Schedule K-1 (Shareholder’s/Partner’s Basis Worksheet is required.)
For Sale of Investment Properties
- Stock – Form 1099-B (Statement from brokerage company) or Detailed Worksheet with Sales amount, Cost Basis, Dates purchased & sold
- Rental Property or Land – Sales Price & Cost Basis with dates (Escrow closing/settlement statements at Sale & Purchase & Improvements not reflected on the prior tax returns, if any)
- Estimated Tax Payments made (IRS & FTB) -> Dates & Amounts
- Did you have financial account(s) in a foreign country?
- Did you receive, sell, send, exchange, acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency?
- Did you receive Form 1095-A or 1095-C regarding Health Insurance?
- Unemployment Compensation from Your State
- Gambling/Lottery Income -> Form W-2G
- Social Security Benefit -> Form SSA-1099
- Retirement Plan Distributions -> Form 1099-R. If Yes, ask for Form 5498. (may be subject to Additional Tax/Penalty form, nondeductible IRA form. Then, Additional Forms to be filed with additional fee)
- Tuitions, Student Loan Interest paid for client or dependents à Form 1098-T or 1098-E
- Child Care Expense
- Alimony and Child Support
- Any Other Income sources or Deductions